The Sandy Hill Corporation 1858 - 1991
|In 1858 the Bakerís Falls Iron Machine Works was founded by Mr. Phil Waite and was named after the adjacent falls on the Hudson River. The company originally was formed to produce water wheels but soon expanded into replacement parts for the many paper mills in Northern New York. (Click image for larger view-use BACK in your browser to continue)|
After the death of J. Walter Juckett the corporation was sold to The Ahlstrom Corporation of Finland and subsequently various portions were sold to Valmet (now Metso), Glens Falls Interweb, Inc. of South Glens Falls, New York and Groupe Laperriere and Verreault of Canada. GL&V Paper Group continues to operate a cast iron dryer foundry and machine shop from the same location as the original Bakers Falls Iron Machine Works. (Click image for larger view and details-use BACK in your browser to continue to continue).
Francis Van Wormer and Thomas Wells purchased the business in 1874. Paper mill machinery was emphasized with the production of cylinder machines and Harper type fourdriniers. The company name was changed to the Sandy Hill Iron and Brass Works in 1882 after the village of Sandy Hill, New York. The village of Sandy Hill was renamed Hudson Falls soon after the turn of the century.
The production of cast iron dryers for paper machines from the Sandy Hill Iron & Brass Works has been documented as early as 1882 as these vintage dryers were observed in operation in the early 1990ís.
The Hudson Falls facilities were built up extensively at the turn of the century with brick structures that are still in operation today as a machine shop and foundry.
In 1934 an alliance was formed between Sweden based Kamyr and Sandy Hill. This alliance would last until 1991 and saw the production of Kamyr wet machines and Kamyr continuous cooking equipment.
The era of the Juckett family ownership of Sandy Hill started in1936 and would span 52 years. Frank A. Juckett assumed the presidency of Sandy Hill in 1936 and guided the company out of the Depression, through the War years, and into the prosperous 1950ís.
After being awarded the Navy "E" for excellence for their World War II effort, Sandy Hill began to produce paper machines and pulping systems for a worldwide customer base that included Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela, Uruguay, Peru, Portugal, Italy, Austria, Korea, India, South Africa, Holland, Germany, France, Ireland, England, Scotland, and Scandinavia. (Click image for larger view and details-use BACK in your browser to continue).
In 1953 Kamyr Inc., a U.S. subsidiary of Kamyr was formed and located at the Sandy Hill Iron and Brass Works in Hudson Falls. Kamyr Inc. was dedicated to the design and production of systems for continuous pulp cooking in the U.S. Kamyr Inc.ís offices would remain in Hudson Falls until 1967 when new offices were constructed in Glens Falls, New York.
The 1950ís saw the development of the Sandy Hill Rotoformer, one of the first vacuum assisted cylinder formers in the paper industry. The Rotoformer remains a viable former for the production of specialty papers to this day. The 1950ís also saw Sandy Hillís initial development of inclined wire forming for specialty papers and fibers.
In 1957 Frank A. Juckett passed away. Upon his passing his son J. Walter Juckett was appointed the President of Sandy Hill. J. Walter Juckett would guide the Sandy Hill Corporation through an unprecedented 31 years of profitable operation.
In 1963 the name of the company was changed to the Sandy Hill Corporation. The 1960ís brought added expansion to the Hudson Falls facility that included new engineering offices, new research & development center, and added machine shop capacity.
The 1960ís was the decade when Sandy Hill commercialized its inclined wire former product line. The Sandy Hill Deltaformer was brought to the marketplace based on the earlier efforts in inclined wire forming. This product line would fuel the further expansion of the companyís business in the 1970ís and 1980ís.
The Hudson Falls facilities were expanded and upgraded in the 1980ís with the addition of a new weld shop and assembly bay.
To properly service the large installed base of Kamyr equipment in the U.S., Sandy Hill South was opened in 1984 in Pell City, Alabama. This was the first Sandy Hill production facility located outside of the Hudson Falls area.
1988 J. Walter Juckett passed away after 52 years of service to the Sandy
Hill Corporation. To this point in its history, the Sandy Hill Corporation
had established itself as a premier supplier of specialty paper and
nonwoven machine lines on a worldwide basis.In 1990 a rapid succession in
the ownership of the Sandy Hill Corporation began. In 1990 The Ahlstrom
Corporation of Finland purchased Sandy Hill. Ahlstrom retained all
facilities and records associated with the Kamyr product line.
(Click image for larger view-use BACK in your browser to continue).
The Valmet - Sandy Hill Corporation 1991 - 1997
In 1991 the Ahlstrom Corp. sold the Sandy Hill Corporation to the Tampella Corporation also of Finland. In 1992 the Valmet Corporation of Finland acquired the Tampella Corporation and from 1992 to 1996 the former Sandy Hill Corporation was operated as the Valmet-Sandy Hill Corporation.
The GL & V Paper Group
In 1997 the Valmet Corporation sold the majority of the Sandy Hill operation in Hudson Falls to Groupe Laperriere and Verreault of Canada. The Hudson Falls location now operates as the GL&V Paper Group Inc.
Valmet retained the Sandy Hill roll repair and service operation in Hudson Falls, which is presently operated as a Metso Service Center.
Glens Falls Interweb, Inc. of South Glens Falls, New York, purchased the Sandy Hill wet laid nonwovens machinery business from Valmet in 1998. Today GFI provides service for existing installations and supplies new Sandy Hill Rotoformers and Sandy Hill Deltaformers.
In 2002 the GL&V Paper Group continues to operate a cast iron dryer foundry and machine shop from the same location as the original Bakers Falls Iron Machine Works. The GL&V Paper Group supplies replacement parts for the Sandy Hill paper machine product line.
This article produced with the assistance of Jeff Riggi, General Manager - Glens Falls Interweb, Inc. and Tammy Gonyea.